Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Conflict of Interests...Yarn Harlot, I know what you're up to!

So, yesterday I receive in the mail my anticipated gift from Amazon - Secret Life of a Knitter, Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much, and Knitting Rules. All books by the famed Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, aka Yarn Harlot. All books that are very good and very hilarious. All books which have now shown themselves for what they truly are...competition with knitting!! Now Stephanie, isn't this a conflict of interest? As you go about trying to encourage your readers to develop a knitting lifestyle, to verge on (or throw yourself full force into?) the obsessive, you have us not knitting, but READING. Reading. Reading. And more reading. That thing that all good-intentioned obsessed knitters always intend to do more of but supposedly.....never do. I guess that takes me out of that club. I guess that rejects me from the whole community of knitters. I guess that makes me a loser. I guess that makes all of us that read your books losers and you the only cool knitter left. Thanks. Now that I stop looking through your books in bookstores and libraries and actually make them my own and read them cover to cover...I have become a loser, not a knitter. But, nonetheless, I am a happy loser...or if I may create a new category, a loser-knitter. Watch out world, here I come!

(and watch out Ms. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. I will have words with you during your Powell visit... The nerve.)

Have a great day everyone, and don't forget to order these books. They're hilarious!

The Loser-Knitter
aka Abbie

9 Comments:

At 8/23/2006 8:36 AM , Blogger Carol & Christine said...

I was feeling the same way. For a while now. I was thinking of having many words with her as well. For now though, I think I'll just try and find her a good ice cold beer.

 
At 8/23/2006 8:06 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

I think everyone is gonna have a nice cold beer to present to her.

I really wish I could read and knit at the same time like some people can.

 
At 8/24/2006 1:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I think all of us Portland bloggers who are going to Powells should sit together or something.

 
At 8/24/2006 1:45 PM , Blogger Mrs BJ said...

I agree! I'll have to remember to make a sign for us!

 
At 8/24/2006 4:34 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

Sit? Is there space to sit there? I've never been to this Powells, but it seems like it will be small, with lots of people showing up!! Any ideas on if she is doing a talk or is it just a book signing?

 
At 8/24/2006 5:14 PM , Blogger mehitabel said...

Reading books--especially books on knitting--is for those times, few as they are, when you can't knit. Like in the bathtub. Tried it. Wet wool is disgusting, cotton is even worse. Wet books dry out. "meditations" is a good "bathroom book" as it's short pieces--just about right!

 
At 8/25/2006 10:38 AM , Blogger entrelac said...

Sounds like it't time to learn how to knit without looking at your hands. I recommend starting with something really simple, like a garter stith rectangle. Get a feel for what you're doing slowly. Then you'll be a loser-knitter no more. You'll be an uber-reader-knitter and you'll be invincible! :)

 
At 8/28/2006 11:21 AM , Blogger Knitting Rose said...

Aren't her books grand? I had my hubby read one so that he would understand ME better!
LOL

 
At 8/29/2006 8:42 AM , Blogger Mrs BJ said...

I have been to this Powell's before and you're right, there isn't a lot of room to sit. I am not sure what the format of her talk/signing will be but I'm sure we'll all be able to find each other. Any ideas? I could make a shirt that says MrsBJ or I could bring the purse with the big burn-hole in it (disguised, but kept as a reminder not to do stupid things)or I could wear a sign around my neck that says, "If you don't like my blog, now's your opportunity to throw something at me..." or something like that... I'm sure you all have some better ideas than that!!

As for reading and knitting together, I am able to do that with simple projects but don't really have the desire to screw up a cable sweater or the TEDIOUS edging on my shawl so I have put those down to read. Does anyone else really not look at their hands when they're cabling or using charts? Sounds a little scary to me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home