Friday, May 05, 2006

Lace, Lace, Lace!

Hi again! Long time no talk! We have a new computer which we just set up and I have internet access again but can't yet upload pics. So, though I have made quite a bit of progress on my wrap and even have step by step splicing to show you (so handy!), today will consist of dream-projects. In other words, I show you pics I found of wonderful things that I would like to make once I get my (billions of) current and en queue projects completed. Most of these pictures and designs come from Fiddlesticks Knitting, a site I discovered while attending the on-line Lace Symposium hosted by Knitting Beyond the Hebrides. I never thought I was a lace girl but I accidently started knitting myself a scarf about a year ago which was lace (didn't realize that when I started) and discovered that I really enjoy lace knitting. My wrap is also considered lace since the design is formed with yo's and K2together's. Turns out I'm a lace-girl more than I thought!

In no particular order, here are beautiful lace shawls, wraps, etc that inspire me to be a better knitter, knit lace, and GET MOVING on my current projects so I can start some more!! Oh the joys of knitting!

I find this Romance Shawl especially beautiful (though I at first thought, whoa! that's a lot of pink!):
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here's the first shawl I saw of Dorothy Siemen's designs. This caught my attention and introduced me to all the others. Meet Peacock:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

and the back view of Peacock:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Next comes Paisley (gorgeous!):
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Garden:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

and Spider:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

So many to choose from! You should check out more of her shawls here. You know what this makes me want to do besides buy yarn and knit lace?! Design lace. Yes, I know, more difficult...but look what I could create!!! Just wait. I'll make something and then post it as a free pattern on here. It might take me a while to get there considering all the projects I already have going and the ideas for more but...I'll get there...and end up with a desk looking like this (Dorothy's desk as she designed the Peacock Shawl):
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

By the way, if you are interested in lace you should make sure to read Liz Lovick's downloadable pdf on Shetland Lace. It has tons of great info and not only that, it's free! She talks about the different types of Shetland Lace and even includes patterns. I can't wait to finish reading it myself. Sounds like a good weekend project (with a cup of coffee, of course!)

Have a great weekend!

4 Comments:

At 5/05/2006 7:54 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

Ohh, lace. I'm working on something along those lines too. Just have to take a picture of it when the weather is a bit nicer. Have a good weekend!!

 
At 5/07/2006 9:08 AM , Blogger LisaB said...

FYI - your pics made your site sorta wonky - your sidebar is way far down on the right. Just thought I'd let you know!

I love lace. Especially after you have taken it off the needles and blocked it. It is like magic!

Have fun with the puppy today!

 
At 5/08/2006 1:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw...I like the lace alot. I need to start knitting again because I stopped since I've been so busy and everything lately. We should do that Thursday thing.
Well, ttyl

mel

PS: I really appreciate what u did 4 me 4 my bday today(well, it's late, so technically yesterday). that was sooooo sweet. I LOVE YOU, SISTER!!!!!!!

 
At 5/25/2006 1:21 PM , Blogger Gail said...

That pdf file is a great resource! Thanks for the link.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home